|Credit line||Gift of Mrs. Charles Prevost MacArthur|
|Description||Porcelain handleless teacup with a round foot and slightly scalloped body that flares outward toward the lip The cup is decorated on one side with a sepia roundel of a shepherdess and dog reclining in a wooded setting. On the reverse is a gilt-edged shield with the script initials "MH" for Mary Hemphill. The rim is gilded and decorated with small blue flowers.|
|Dimensions||H-2 Dia-3.5 inches|
|Dimension Details||Diameter at lip|
|Owned||Mary Hemphill Jones|
Part of a set that originally belonged to Mary Hemphill (1779-1834), one of the six children of William and Elizabeth Allison Hemphill. Her father entered the China trade in 1803 in partnership with Robert Ralston of Philadelphia. William Hemphill gave this china set to his daughter on the occasion of her marriage in Wilmington to Morgan Jones on November 1, 1808.
|Place of Origin||China|