Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID N1993.001.1540
Object Name Painting
Title Old Presbyterian Church at Lake Como, Smyrna, DE.
Collection Works of Art
Credit line DHS Collection
Year Range from 1820
Year Range to 1830
Description Unframed, folk art, watercolor landscape painting of the original Old Presbyterian Church and cemetery at Lake Como, Smyrna, DE. The painting is a slightly peculiar looking patchwork of scenes. The left side has a church and cemetery with two small figures, one walking in the cemetery and one standing by a gate in the lower left corner. The right side of the painting has a 6 1/4" x 4 1/2" patch of paper stuck into the upper right corner. This same side has a landscape scene with a lake and three small figures in a boat. There is a strange white ghost image of trees and buildings that runs diagonally along the shoreline (probably meant to represent a reflection). There is no visible signature. The First Presbyterian Church was established at this site in 1748 and remained here until 1846, when the congregation moved to a new church. The church building in this painting was later demolished.
Dimensions H-10 W-15 inches
Subjects Paintings
Churches
Landscape paintings
Watercolors
Search Terms Folk Art
Smyrna
Landscape Paintings
Presbyterian Churches
Watercolors
Lake Como
Nineteenth Century
Kent County
Medium Watercolor