|Credit line||DHS Collection|
Engraved souvenir12-pound Confederate "side-loader" spherical shell with a lead plug. This projectile was designed to have a copper fuze plug with a wooden fuze cut to a particular burn time (usually 3-8 seconds) that was inserted just before firing. It would have been filled with lead shot through the filled hole in the side. The item has been engraved with "Gettysburg / 1863."
The item is a souvenir relic likely made by Gettysburg resident, Edward Woodward, a local gunsmith who opened a souvenir shop selling bullets, shells, and other battlefield relics to tourists during the late nineteenth century. He was known for his desk sets and engraved battlefield projectiles.
|Material||Cast iron; lead plug|
|Place of Origin||Gettysburg, PA|