|Credit line||DHS Purchase|
|Year Range from||1766|
|Year Range to||1774|
|Makers mark||"SR" imprinted twice in small rectangles|
Silver Rococo-style coffeepot with a carved double-scroll fruitwood handle and circular foot.
The spout has a stylized leaf motif at the tip and a gadrooning at the base. The hinged lid has a dome shape that terminates in a twisting flame finial. The base of the handle is decorated with gadrooning and stylized shell motifs. Reinforcement has been added under the upper socket. The piece is engraved "CR" in script on the side. The piece is marked by Stephen Reeves, who worked as a silversmith in various locations throughout the Mid-Atlantic but had a shop in Philadelphia at Horse Alley and Second Street from 1766-1774.
|Dimensions||H-12.5 W-9.25 inches|
|Dimension Details||width = approximate total width including handle and spout.|
|Provenance||The 1784 inventory of Caesar Rodney's estate listed a silver coffeepot as being among his possessions. In 1919, Rodney family manuscripts and other items were auctioned by the Philadelphia firm of Stan V. Henkel. It was at this time that the coffeepot was acquired by Philadelphia collector, Maurice Brix. Anna-Maria Brix loaned the coffeepot to the Delaware Historical Society in 1948 and then allowed the Society to purchase the coffeepot from her by subscription in 1950.|
|Material||Silver; fruitwood handle|
|Place of Origin||Philadelphia, PA|