|Title||The Tile House|
|Collection||Works of Art|
|Credit line||Gift of John H. Rodney|
|Year Range from||1890|
|Year Range to||1900|
|Artist||Anne Read Rodney|
Painting of the Tile House in New Castle by Anne Read Rodney (1873-1940; Mrs. Francis deHaes Janvier). The painting shows a view of the front facade of the building from the Strand. The house has two doors with a window between them on the ground level and an open cellar below the window. The upper storeys have blind arch-topped double windows and iron numerals 1687. The roof line has a stepped gable topped by a weathervane and the facade is a sandy tan color. There is an alley that runs down the left side of the house. The Tile House was demolished in 1884.
There is a label on the back of the canvas board: "Russell's canvasboard, Patented March 18, 1879; 10 x 12". Also "Mrs. John H. Rodney / New Castle [rest illegible]" and "October 1892"
[undoubtedly the date of the gift to DHS].
|Dimensions||H-13.25 W-11.25 D-0.625 inches|
|Dimension Details||framed dimensions|
|Provenance||Anne Read Rodney (1873-1940) was the daughter of John H. and Annie Dorsey Reeves Rodney and a descendant of Sir Thomas Read on her mother's side. Anne Read Rodney married Francis deHaes Janvier and had two children: Frank Darrough & Margaret.|
Anne Read Rodney
|Material||Oil on board|
|Place of Origin||New Castle, DE|