Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID 1943.033.016
Object Name Furniture, Dollhouse
Collection Dollhouses
Credit line Gift of Mrs. Thomas Starr King & Mrs. E.W. Jackson
Date 1864
Description Miniature Victorian sideboard for the McComb dollhouse. The sideboard has a white marble top and a lower cupboard with two doors. The upper portion has a scrolling back with two shelves supported by turned bone spindles. The entire body of the sideboard is painted to resemble japanned furniture is decorated with gold scrolling and geometric patterns. The back has two oval mirrors, each painted with a country cottage scene.
Dimensions H-5.75 W-6 D-2 inches
Owned Henry S. McComb
Provenance This item is part of the original furniture that went with the McComb dollhouse, so called after its original owner, Wilmingtonian Henry S. McComb (1825-1881), who acquired it at the Philadelphia Sanitary Fair which took place in June 1864. McComb brought the dollhouse back to Wilmington and installed it on the third floor of his home at 11th and Market Streets. Upon his death the house passed to his daughter Nellie McComb Winchester and then to her daughters, Mrs. Thomas Starr King and Mrs. E.W. Jackson, who donated it to the Society in 1943.
Subjects Dollhouses
Furniture
Search Terms McComb Dollhouse
Dollhouses
Civil War
Philadelphia Sanitary Fair
Nineteenth Century
Dollhouse Furniture
Sideboards
Material Wood; marble top; bone spindles
Place of Origin Philadelphia, PA
Event Philadelphia Sanitary Fair, 1864