Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID 1880.003
Object Name Box, Storage
Collection Household/Domestic
Credit line Gift of Amos C. Brinton
Date circa 1880
Description Wooden relic box with a hinged lid and ink inscription on the lid: "Box made of wood from the church / built 1740 near 10th & Market St. / And presented with its contents to the / Historical Society by A.C. Brinton." There is also another fainter inscription in pencil on the front edge: "Wood from old church built / 1740 the present historical house / on Market Street near 10th 1895." Another note glued to the right side reads: "May 1880. wooden box / in shape of book / filled with relics / (relics removed) / from Amos C. Brinton."
Dimensions H-3.5 W-7.5 L-11 inches
Provenance According to the inscription, the wood for the box came from the First Presbyterian Church building that was formerly located on Market Street. The building was moved to the corner of S. Park Drive and N. West Streets in Wilmington in 1918.
Subjects Churches
Souvenirs
Historic buildings
Search Terms First Presbyterian Church
Relics
Market Street
Wilmington
Churches
Revolutionary War
New Castle County
Material Oak
Place of Origin Delaware