Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID 1956.002.008
Object Name Banner
Collection Schools
Credit line Gift of Mrs. Edward Glenn Cook
Date 1864
Description Double-sided, hanging silk banner with two-inch-wide metallic gold fringe trim all the way around the banner and also on the hanging cord. The banner hangs between two gold-painted horizontal wooden bars that are held together by a metallic gold cord that terminates in acorn tassels. It also has two gold metallic tassels at each side of the uppermost support bar and two hanging from the top of the hanging cord. One side of the banner is dark blue silk with red and gold painted text: "Dedicated to / Bishop Scott / by the / Scott M.E. / Sunday School / Wilmington, Del; / 1864." The reverse side is red silk with gold and black painted text: "Of such / is the / Kingdom / of Heaven."
Dimensions H-29.5 W-19.875 inches
Dimension Details overall greatest dimensions; silk banner itself (exclusive of fringe) is 15" x 15".
Owned Scott/Townsend families
Provenance This item came to the Society through the Townsend family. One of Bishop Scott's seven children was Amelia Jane Townsend, the wife of the Hon. George L. Townsend of the Delaware State Legislature. This banner is part of a group of Bishop Scott items initially placed on loan to the Society in 1933 by Miss Cornelia Townsend and Mrs. Edward Glenn Cook, who later donated some of the items in 1956.
Subjects Sunday schools
Textiles
Banners
Methodist Episcopal churches
Methodist churches
Religion
People Scott, Bishop Levi
Search Terms Bishop Scott
Banners
Wilmington
Sunday Schools
Methodist Episcopal Churches
Methodists
Bishop Levi Scott
Nineteenth Century
New Castle County
Material Silk; metallic fringe trim; wooden supports
Place of Origin Wilmington, DE