|Object Name||Rule, Parallel|
|Credit line||Gift of the Children of James T. Anderson|
|Year Range from||1943|
|Year Range to||1947|
|Made||B. Cooke & Son, Ltd.|
|Makers mark||Oval maker's stamp on the front: "B. Cooke & Son, Ltd. / Est.1863 / Instrument Makers / Hull."|
Parallel ruler that was owned and used by James T. Anderson (1925-1994) of Newark, DE. This instrument was used by navigators to draw lines on charts. The instrument consists of two wooden straight edges joined by two steel arms which allow the edges to move closer or further away while always remaining parallel to each other. There is an oval maker's stamp on the front and slightly to the left of center: "B. Cooke & Son, Ltd. / Est.1863 / Instrument Makers / Hull." There is also a stamp in the lower left hand corner on the front: "Made in England / Capt. Field's Improved." The owner's name " James T. Anderson" is written in pencil on the back.
|Dimensions||W-2.625 L-15 inches|
|Owned||James T. Anderson|
|Provenance||This item belonged to James T. Anderson (1925-1994), who was a Merchant Marine and also worked on oil tankers for Tidewater out of Delaware City. He moved to Newark, Delaware from New York City with his family in 1957.|
B. Cooke & Son, Ltd.
|Place of Origin||Hull, England|