|Object ID||1960.010.004 b|
|Credit line||DHS Purchase|
|Year Range from||1863|
|Year Range to||1865|
|Description||Hand-carved bone knife that is part of a matching knife and fork set that was probably carved by one of the Confederate prisoners of war from the First Delaware Heavy Artillery Company at Fort Delaware under Captain George W. Ahl (1834-1914). The 2 1/4" long handle is carved with three groups of three grooves that extend all the way around it. The 3 7/8" long blade is oblong with rounded edges like a butter knife. The spine of the blade is a delicately carved and tapered.|
|Dimensions||W-0.75 L-6.125 inches|
|Dimension Details||Overall greatest dimensions|
|Owned||George W. Ahl|
This item is one of a small group of items that originally belonged to Captain George W. Ahl (1834-1914), second in command, assistant adjutant, and inspecting officer under Albin Francisco Schoepf at Fort Delaware during the Civil War.
Ahl also formed the First Delaware Heavy Artillery Company, which was mostly comprised of former Confederate soldiers who had been taken prisoner and then sworn an oath of allegiance to the Union. This company was organized at Fort Delaware on July 27, 1863 and assigned to garrison and guard duty at Fort Delaware during their entire period of service. The company mustered out on July 25, 1865.
Prisoners of war
Forts & fortifications
First Delaware Heavy Artillery
Ahl's Heavy Artillery Company
George W. Ahl
|Place of Origin||Fort Delaware, Delaware City, DE|