Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID 1943.033.015
Object Name Furniture, Dollhouse
Collection Dollhouses
Credit line Gift of Mrs. Thomas Starr King & Mrs. E.W. Jackson
Date 1864
Description Miniature Neoclassical side chair with a floral pattern seat for the McComb dollhouse. The chair has pegged construction and saber legs with an off-white leather seat that has a central painted bunch of flowers. The front of the seat has white zig-zag trim. The front, back, and crest rails have applied gilded scrolling floral accents.
Dimensions H-4 W-2.375 D-2 inches
Owned Henry S. McComb
Provenance This item is part of the original furniture that went with the McComb dollhouse, so called after its original owner, Wilmingtonian Henry S. McComb (1825-1881), who acquired it at the Philadelphia Sanitary Fair which took place in June 1864. McComb brought the dollhouse back to Wilmington and installed it on the third floor of his home at 11th and Market Streets. Upon his death the house passed to his daughter Nellie McComb Winchester and then to her daughters, Mrs. Thomas Starr King and Mrs. E.W. Jackson, who donated it to the Society in 1943.
Subjects Dollhouses
Furniture
Chairs
Search Terms McComb Dollhouse
Dollhouses
Civil War
Philadelphia Sanitary Fair
Nineteenth Century
Dollhouse Furniture
Chairs
Material Wood; leather seat
Place of Origin Philadelphia, PA
Event Philadelphia Sanitary Fair, 1864