|Credit line||Gift of Mrs. A. D. Warner in Memory of Martha S. Cranston|
Single-sided banner printed on yellow fabrikoid (a faux leather material introduced by the by Dupont Company in 1908) with black text: "Equal / Suffrage / Association / of / Wilmington / Founded / 1895." The base of the banner has a scalloped edge trimmed with 1 3/4" long gold and white tassels and it is mounted to a fluted white plastic pole with ridged gold finials and gold silk cord.
|Dimensions||W-34.5 L-45.5 inches|
|Dimension Details||banner dimensions; the tassels add 1 3/4" to the overall length. The pole the banner hangs from is 46 1/2" long.|
|Owned||Equal Suffrage Association of Wilmington|
|Used||Equal Suffrage Association of Wilmington|
This banner was carried by members of the Wilmington Equal Suffrage Association, who were part of a suffrage parade held in Philadelphia, PA on May 1, 1915. The ladies started their march from their headquarters at 305 Delaware Avenue and then travelled down Market Street to the Fourth Street wharf, where they took the boat to Philadelphia to take part in the larger parade where this banner made its first appearance.
The banner was presented to the Society on November 17, 1943 by Emalea Pusey Warner and Mary R. deVou during a special ceremony to honor Martha S. Cranston (a founder and President of the Delaware Woman's Suffrage Society from 1895-1914) at Old Town Hall. Emalea Pusey Warner (1853-1948) was a leader in the women's suffrage movement in Delaware and acquired the banner from the organization after women finally got the vote and it was retired.
Parades & processions
Equal Suffrage Association of Wilmington
New Castle County
|Place of Origin||Wilmington, DE|
|Event||Women's Suffrage parade in Philadelphia, PA|