Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID 1964.023
Object Name Cup, Stirrup
Collection Glass
Credit line Gift of Mrs. Joseph McFarland, Jr.
Year Range from 1760
Year Range to 1785
Description Blown glass stirrup cup with a small, round bowl and long stem that has a spiral of white glass inside it. The bowl is engraved with floral designs near the rim. The name "stirrup cup" refers to a cup presented to parting guests.
Dimensions H-6.125 Dia-1.875 inches
Dimension Details diameter of bowl; the foot is 2 3/4".
Owned Dr. John McKinly
Used McKinly family
Provenance The item originally belonged to Dr. John (1721-1796) and Jane Richardson McKinly of Wilmington, Delaware. They lived at the northwest corner of 3rd and French Streets in Wilmington. He was an Irish-born physician and politician from Wilmington, Delaware, and a veteran of the French and Indian War. He served in the Delaware General Assembly and was the first elected President (governor) of Delaware.
Subjects Glassware
People McKinly, John
McKinly, Jane Richardson
Search Terms Stirrup Cups
Glassware
John McKinly
Room Pantry
Material Blown glass