|Credit line||DHS Purchase|
|Year Range from||1863|
|Year Range to||1865|
|Made||Colonel O.M. Butler|
|Description||Carved bone man's ring with a 5/8" x 1/2" flat panel at the front that contains the blue inlaid script initials "GWA." This panel is flanked on either side with twenty-four inlaid red and blue five-pointed stars (14 red, 9 blue, 1 missing). The initials and stars are carved out of the body and then filled in with colored inlay material. This ring was carved for Captain George W. Ahl (1834-1914) by Colonel O.M. Butler of the First Louisiana Cavalry as a token of appreciation for favors extended towards him by Ahl while a prisoner of war at Fort Delaware.|
|Dimensions||H-0.5 W-1 L-1 inches|
|Dimension Details||Overall greatest dimensions|
|Owned||George W. Ahl|
This item is one of a small group of items that originally belonged to Captain George W. Ahl (1834-1914), second in command, assistant adjutant, and inspecting officer under Albin Francisco Schoepf at Fort Delaware during the Civil War.
Ahl also formed the First Delaware Heavy Artillery Company, which was mostly comprised of former Confederate soldiers who had been taken prisoner and then sworn an oath of allegiance to the Union. This company was organized at Fort Delaware on July 27, 1863 and assigned to garrison and guard duty at Fort Delaware during their entire period of service. The company mustered out on July 25, 1865.
First Delaware Heavy Artillery
Ahl's Heavy Artillery Company
George W. Ahl
First Louisiana Cavalry
Colonel O.M. Butler
|Place of Origin||Fort Delaware, Delaware City, DE|