|Object Name||Compass, Surveyor's|
|Credit line||Gift of Mr. C.H. Ross|
|Year Range from||1825|
|Year Range to||1849|
|Made||William J. Young|
|Makers mark||"WJ Young / Maker / Philadelphia Patent"|
Brass surveyor's compass (circumferentor) in a mahogany case with a hinged lid. The instrument consists of a brass circle divided into 360 degrees, a brass cover, and an index. At the end of each index is a sight. The entire instrument can be mounted on two detachable legs.
It was used to measure horizontal angles in surveying. Circumferentors were later superseded by the theodolite. The face is stamped "WJ Young / Maker" on the upper half of the dial and "Philadelphia Patent" on the lower half.
|Dimensions||H-4 W-7.375 L-14.75 inches|
|Dimension Details||Case dimensions; compass is 14" long x 6 1/4" wide x 3 3/8" high.|
|Provenance||According to the donor, this compass was used in the early surveys of Sussex County and came from the Tomlinson family.|
Surveyor' s Compasses
|Material||Mahogany case; brass; glass|
|Place of Origin||Philadelphia, PA|